Thursday, September 27, 2012

Chocolate Protein Powder Cupcakes

Ok. I'm not going to lie to you, these have more of a "muffin" texture than a "cupcake", but perhaps thats in the type of flour I used. I didn't have coconut flour like the recipe calls for, so I used part Bob's Red Mill gluten free baking mix, and part tapioca flour. I'll post the icing recipe too, just know that I thought it was way too sweet, but had to be that sweet to combat the bitter carob chips, and it made my tummy hurt :( But it took care of my sweet tooth, and my snack attack for sure :)

CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE RECIPE

¼ cup coconut flour
¼ cup chocolate protein powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
3 eggs
¼ cup grapeseed (or coconut oil)
½ cup agave nectar

  1. In a medium bowl, combine coconut flour, protein powder, salt and baking soda
  2. In a large bowl, blend together eggs, oil and agave
  3. Blend dry ingredients into wet thoroughly
  4. Line a cupcake tin with paper liners and scoop a scant ¼ cup into each
  5. Bake at 375° for 20-22 minutes
  6. Cool and cover with icing if you want :)
ICING RECIPE:

Melt 1 cup unsweetened carob chips with 1/2 cup grapeseed or coconut oil (get the expeller pressed so it doesnt have a strong coconutty [is that even a word] taste) over VERY low heat, stirring constantly. Add a dash of sea salt, 1 Tbls vanilla, and then 1/2 cup agave. Whisk that together. I had to add more agave, and then some more, and then a little more before it was tolerable and tasty. Then whisk it really well, and put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Take it out a whip it with a hand mixer until it gets pretty fluffy and spreadable. Put on cupcakes and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment